Batgirl - Volume 1: The darkest reflection (The New 52)
Simone, Gail (Author), Syaf, Ardian (Illustrator) Cifuentes, Vicente (Illustrator), Hughes, Adam (Illustrator)
Paperback, 144 pages ISBN13: 9781401234751
Published 2012 by DC Comics
“... just as Superman stands for unimpeachable hope and Batman for rigid justice, Batgirl stands for girls doing what the hell they want. ...she was a librarian, she rode a motorcycle decorated with chiffon ruffles...” - Comic Alliance. Yes that is right everyones favourite batgirl, Barbara Gordon is finally back in DC Comics acclaimed The New 52 series. Fan-favorite female author Gail Simone has reimagined Batgirl as a compelling relatable very human character complete with the doubts, fears and mental imperfections that occur in real life.
Great for a first time comic book reader as this stunning adventure focuses on the tough but vulnerable character of Barbara Gordon in her role as Batgirl in her current conflicts and struggles without the need to get lost in a convoluted back story.
In this new adventure Batgirl has been freed of the boundaries of her wheelchair (by the miracle of modern medicine) and is back on the frontline of fighting crime in Gotham city, but this miraculous recovery is not without its downside, although she is physically fine and fighting villains she is struggling the PTSD from the violent attack in her past that left her paralysed.
Art by Ardian Syaf is highly detailed and realistic and refreshingly features depiction of a woman with a reasonable figure not super crazy waif like comic book women of the past.



Holly!!!
ReplyDelete1. I love your blog
2. I love your blog
and 3. I love your blog!!!!!!
I have always wanted to get into comics books but I was never quite sure where to start or what type of comic book I should read, so this has made me really excited about getting into comic books.
I really like that you decided to focus on strong female characters its really refreshing to see more in depth character profiles as opposed to just simple character outlines that don't go much deeper than that (which I personally find really frustrating!!!)
The layout of your blog is really nice as well and I like that you talk equally about the illustrators for the novels as well as the authors :) the link to the library catalogue is also really helpful :)
Anyway can't wait to get stuck into this batgirl one I'm getting my hands on it ASAP!